Directions and Maps
Our administrative offices are located 16 miles southeast of Savannah, GA, on the north end of
Skidaway Island, situated on the campus of the Skidaway Institute
of Oceanography (SkIO); approximately 30-45 minutes from downtown
Main Office Phone: 912-598-2345
The most direct route from downtown Savannah to Skidaway Island, SkIO and Gray's Reef Administrative Office is to take the Truman Parkway using these driving directions on the Red Route.
- Follow Bay St. (Hwy 80 east) to President Street Extension (still Highway 80 east). Stay in the
left-hand lane. (1A) to (1B)
- Turn left onto the Truman Parkway. Follow the Truman Parkway (south) to the temporary end at Whitefield
- Take the Whitfield Avenue exit off the Truman Parkway, turning left onto Spur 204 East (Diamond Causeway). (1C)
- Continue on Spur 204 East across over the Moon River bridge and the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Drawbridge. Once you have
crossed the second bridge you are on Skidaway Island.
- You will pass several churches, the Skidaway Island State Park entrance, and the Landings Village on the left;
while passing thru two traffic lights. At the 4-way stop, turn left onto McWhorter Drive.(1D)
- Follow McWhorter Drive (3.9 miles). The SkIO Campus begins on the left with an open field, while entrance to the Gray's Reef
Administrative Office will be on your right.
When you see the open field on your left, the entrance to the Gray's Reef drive will be a gravel driveway on your right. A yellow buoy with Gray's Reef NMS in black lettering and a NOAA logo below the lettering, will be on the left of the entrance to our drive; and a 3-4 foot anchor standing upright, with GSU Lab in blue lettering on it, will be standing upright by a tree at the right of the entrance to our drive. The Gray's Reef office is the blue building with white awning and blue text and logos after the wooden gate.